We hope this finds you well! The COEHS Technology Staff has been busy throughout the Summer preparing for Fall 2017! We look forward to serving you throughout the semester!
Below you will find some important information that you will need as you arrive back on campus!
WHO DO I CALL FOR HELP?
- Technology Emergency – University Technology (uTech) Support Center: (309)298-TECH!
- Non-Emergency Technology Needs – call the COEHS Dean’s Office at (309)298-1690 to be transferred to us, or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Equipment Rental and Training Needs – call the IMM Lab (309)298-3076 or email email@example.com.
WIU WIRELESS UPGRADE
In May University technology upgraded WIU’s wireless network. All users of WIU’s wireless networks will need to re-configure their personal wireless devices to properly reconnect to Wi-Fi on the Macomb and WIU Campuses. User’s of wireless devices supplied by WIU (except for those using WIU laptops running Windows 7 or 10) will also have to re-configure their devices to properly reconnect to Wi-Fi on both WIU campuses. Individual’s that use a WIU provided laptop/device running Windows 7 or Windows 10 will find that after the first time they login to their device on the wired campus network their device will automatically detect the new WIU Secure network.
With the new setup, you have two options:
- Traditional: connect your device to the WIU-SECURE wireless hotspot and enter your ECom username and password, similar to how you may connect to password-protected Wi-Fi at home. Note that you will need to update the password in your device settings whenever your ECom password changes (this will occur approximately every 120 days).
- Advanced: connect your device to the WIU-SETUP wireless hotspot, open a browser to onboard.wiu.edu, and carefully follow the multi-step instructions (printing and following instructions at wiu.edu/wifi is recommended). This process is recommended for newer mobile devices, and requires the download and installation of a wizard to configure your device. After completion, a certificate installed on your device will provide 4-years of uninterrupted wireless access (i.e. no password to change on your device).
- With this upgrade there is no longer an automatic guest network at WIU. All campus visitors must follow the on-boarding process found in the instructions above. If you have a group coming to campus you should contact uTech at least 2 weeks prior to arrival of the group to ensure that the group will be able to successfully be connected to the wi-fi network when they arrive.
If you experience difficulty configuring and connecting to the WIU Secure network please request assistance by visiting the uTech Support Center in Stipes 126, or by calling (309)298-TECH.
Over the Summer semester all classrooms have received routine maintenance. Old user files and extraneous files were removed. OS updates as well as helper applications (such as Adobe Acrobat, Internet Browsers, and etc.) were ran. The instructor stations in these classrooms were cleaned along with keyboards and monitor screens. Specifically you should take note of the following updates:
- All COEHS operated classrooms in Brophy Hall now have Dell Optiplex computers running Windows 10.
- All COEHS operated classrooms in Knoblauch Hall now have Dell Optiplex computers running Windows 10.
- In the Spring of 2017 Horrabin Hall 3 and Brophy Hall 234 experienced equipment failure. Due to budgetary constraints we were not able to purchase the necessary equipment to fully upgrade these rooms. Therefore, we have taken efforts to reconfigure the rooms to provide the best operation available given the current hardware options. Both classrooms now have Dell Optiplex computers running Windows 10. In both of these classrooms the Elmo document camera is now ran through the computer and they both have an external BluRay player. There is no laptop connector at this time. New operational documentation has been written and posted in each of the rooms regarding operation. If you are impacted by these changes and would like training on usage, please contact Dawn Sweet (DR-Sweet@wiu.edu).
- Beginning in Fall 2017 our Windows updates to all COEHS operated classrooms will be delivered remotely via uTech’s SCCM agent. Those individual’s teaching on Thursday evenings will be contacted in the near future and asked to assist us with this very important process by leaving the classroom computers logged into the Window’s Login screen on the third Thursday of every month. Failure to leave them logged in, means that the computer will begin updates the next time it is logged into, which could result in updates starting at the beginning of a colleague’s class. On our end we will also be getting a list of classrooms that have classes in them first thing on Friday mornings. We will be making every effort to get into the office early on those days and ensure that the updates are running so that minimal to no disruption occurs. We cannot ensure that updates will not run the morning after they are delivered. If this becomes an issue we will re-examine this plan.
- Brophy Hall 232, Horrabin Hall 111, and Stipes 301 were re-imaged over the Summer. During this process user accounts and extraneous files were removed. Brophy 232 and Stipes 301 are running Windows 10. Horrabin Hall is running Mac OS10.12 Sierra and Windows 7. In Horrabin Hall 111 there is a new process for logging into the computer. Instructions have been written and are posted on the computers.
- We have been notified that as of July 31, 2017 uTech has changed the interface of touch screen and keypad controllers in General Purpose Classrooms that they operate to create a consistent experience across their rooms. They have ensured us that new documentation and training will be provided in those rooms. If you are scheduled to teach in a General Purpose classroom, please be aware of these changes and contact the uTech Support Center for assistance (309)298-TECH. COEHS will look to adapt their new interfaces over the Fall or Winter break. We will notify administrator’s and faculty of these changes when they occur.
Note: As always, when you experience an issue in a classroom it is best to contact the uTech Support Center so that your call can be directly sent to a technician that can assist you quickly. Call 309-298-TECH for assistance. Given the fact that there is currently a full-time vacancy in the COEHS technology staff, please realize that one FTE is covering all services. Calls will be taken in the order they are received and you may see a delay in response time until staffing is increased.
EDTPA VIDEO RECORDING INFORMATION
The latest information regarding EdTPA video recording has been posted at:http://www.wiu.edu/coehs/technology/edtpavideotutorial.php
Specifically you will want to note the following:
- We will be presenting at the EdTPA meeting from 10:45am-11:45am on Friday August 25, in Horrabin Hall room for the student teaching meeting.
- Windows Users: On January 12, 2017 Microsoft ended its support for Windows Essentials 2012 Suite, which included MovieMaker. At this time the installer is still available for download at: http://www.windows-movie-maker.org/. In the future you may not be able to download the software, but as of now it is still available on that site. If you cannot get Windows MovieMaker installed on your computer, we have computers available for checkout through the TRC that are already setup for you with the necessary video editor and compressor that you will need. Contact us in the TRC by calling (309)298-3076. The cost of checking these out is $20 and you can check them out as many times as you need them throughout the semester. Additionally, you are welcome to use any other video editor that you choose. While we cannot make a specific recommendation, and cannot support every video editor, we have found that the OpenShot video editor provides many of the same features that MovieMaker and iMovie provide. However, we have seen that it can crash periodically on some systems while running perfectly on others. You can check it out on your system by downloading and installing it from http://openshot.org.
Feel free to call us at (309)298-3076 for assistance and further information on technology rental for your EdTPA!
NEW HOURS FOR IMM LAB & TRC
Due to unfilled positions on our staff we have had to adjust our Fall hours of operation.
Fall 2017 hours will be:
- Monday & Wednesday 12:00pm – 4:30pm
- Tuesday, Thursday & Friday – 8:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-4:30pm
Instructional Development Services – TechInsights Workshops for September/October 2017
Our 2017 workshop offerings will begin September 5th! We have 10 titles to choose from and will provide additional titles mid October for our November/December calendar! Learn more and register for each workshop online at: http://coehstechnology.eventbrite.com !
Download and share our workshop calendar and descriptions in Adobe PDF format by clicking here:IDS FL17 Sept-Oct Workshops.pdf!
Have a great semester!
– The COEHS Technology Staff